Brief History of The Shattuck National Bank
The Shattuck National Bank was founded in August 1909 by John Henry Clay (J.H.C.) Stuart. The Bank operated under a state charter until 1911, when it incorporated under the national banking laws. With his three sons, W.E. Stuart, John Lindley Stuart, Sr., and James W. Stuart, J.H.C. Stuart led the bank to become one of the best in the area.
The bank was located at First and Main streets until 1963. It was then moved to its current location at 503 South Main Street. The original bank building was donated to the City of Shattuck. The first floor is the Shattuck Public Library while the second floor is the Masonic Lodge.
Some highlights and special memories of the bank’s history were recalled by Ned Stuart and J.L. “Jiggs” Stuart, Jr. The brothers remembered that their first official duty for The Shattuck National Bank as children was to clean out the brass spittoons that were located throughout the bank.
While the bank was still in its original location at First and Main, the bank did not have regular closing hours. As long as there were customers, the bank stayed open. In addition, all of the bank employees wore their hats the entire day.
Many business owners did not trust the night deposit drop, so Jiggs Stuart remembers opening the bank on Saturday mornings. Jiggs and Ned also remembered sorting and filing checks by hand before automated banking systems were in use.
The cash vault sat in the window of the original bank so that was in full view of all passersby in case of robbery. Ned recalled that the original vault was moved from the first bank building to the present location with a truck and an A-frame. The vault being carried up Main Street made quite an impression on all those who helped with the move as well as those who witnessed its slow parade to the current bank location.
Loans & Lending
Customer Service / Support Personnel
Board of Directors